Whether you are upgrading to a bigger place, moving into your first home, or living on your own for the first time, the process of moving is an exciting time for a new adventure on your own or with your family. Purchasing new furniture, deciding how you want to decorate your new place, and exploring your new community are all things to look forward to as you prepare to move.
However, there are still many things you need to do prior to the big move-in day. At 10 Federal, we want to help you during this very exciting time so you can be better prepared and have more time for the fun stuff. From choosing the right moving vehicle to knowing what needs to go on your move-in checklist, check out our tips for successful moving below.
Making a Move-in Checklist
Creating a list of items that needs to be completed prior to the move can really help speed things up and help you remember what needs to be done when you are being pulled in a million different directions. Items that need to be included on your checklist are:
- Purchase insurance. Depending on your situation, you will need to either purchase homeowner’s insurance or renter’s insurance prior to your move-in. Many times, when you bundle your home and auto insurance, you will receive a nice discount.
- Set up your utilities. Make sure you either start service at your new address or switch everything over to your new address. Utilities that need to be considered include gas, water, electricity, internet, and trash.
- Change of address. Another thing you need to do is fill out the USPS Change of Address form. This will ensure that your mail will be forwarded to your new address. There are other places you will want to note your change of address such as your car insurance, banks, loan provider, phone service, employer, and doctors.
- Moving supplies. Make sure to purchase moving supplies well before your move-in so you have plenty of time to pack up your items. Supplies that need to be purchased include boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and newspaper.
Organizing Your Storage Items
After you have your moving supplies purchased and are ready to start packing, make sure you have an organization system set up. Label all your boxes so you can easily find whatever you need once you start unpacking at your new place. Make sure to pack like items or items for a specific room in your home together for easier organization.
You will also want to make sure you know how much storage space you have at your new place in case you are in need of additional storage space. Sort your items according to what will be coming with you to the new place and what you will be taking to the storage unit. This way, you will not accidentally place the wrong items on the truck meant for the storage unit.
Choosing a Moving Vehicle
If you plan on hiring a moving company to take care of your items, you will not need to worry about the size or type of moving vehicle. However, if you plan on doing everything yourself, you need to know the difference between each type of moving vehicle so that you can choose the right one. The three main types of moving vehicles are pickup trucks, cargo vans, and box trucks.
Pickup trucks are good for small moves when you do not have a lot of items or when you are moving a few items over a long period of time. Cargo vans are beneficial when you only have a few large items or you are a single person moving into a small house. You will want to rent a box truck if you plan on making your move all in one day or if you are a family with many large items.
Transporting Large Furniture
On the day of your move, you will want to ensure that you are well prepared for anything that could happen as you are moving large pieces of furniture. Here are some helpful tips as you are moving small and large furniture items:
- Take out drawers and disassemble legs and feet. As you are moving furniture, it is vital to take necessary precautions to ensure that injuries and damages do not occur. Removing drawers is one way to help prevent any injury or damage as nothing is more painful than carrying a large dresser and having a drawer fall onto your foot. Removing these things will also make packing them into the moving vehicle easier.
- Slide heavy furniture if you are able. Dragging large furniture can cause damage to your floors and the furniture itself. It may be in your best interest to purchase sliders for your furniture or to simply place blankets underneath furniture for an easy way to move furniture throughout the day.
- Do not overdo it. There is nothing worse than injuring yourself the day of the move simply because you felt like you had to do it all on your own. Get help from a moving company or reliable friends and family so you have plenty of hands to carry the heavy stuff. It may also be helpful to purchase the proper moving equipment such as straps and dollies for easier and more efficient moving.
- Have a plan and order of operations in place. Lastly, make sure to have a plan in place for what you are going to pack into your moving vehicle first so that you are not having to play Tetris the entire day. This will also help everyone involved know what is going on so that time is not wasted.
Rent Your Student Storage Unit From 10 Federal Today!
If you arrive at your new home and realize you do not have enough storage space, 10 Federal can help. We offer convenient and affordable self storage units in a variety of sizes. Contact your local facility or go online to rent or reserve your self storage unit today!